What do I do first?
If you are not sure where to start, the best thing to do is start with the first task on the BootMed Plus menu and work your way down. (This is also the same order as the tutorials appear on this website.) This will first take you through a diagnostic test to see if your hard drive is failing. If it is, you should skip ahead and create an image of your hard drive. Otherwise, continue on with the next tutorials to try to get your computer booting again.
What Tutorials are on the CD?
- Perform a Hard Drive Diagnostic Test (SMART) - This will guide you through performing a diagnostic test of your hard drive.
- Scan for Basic File System Errors - This will show you how to scan for basic file system errors (similar to Scandisk)
- Recover a Windows 7/Vista Registry - This will help you recover your registry from a backup that Windows makes on a regular basis. (7/Vista only)
- Recover Registry to a Restore Point - This will help you recover your registry to a Windows System Restore Point. (XP only)
- Restore Registry to Factory Settings - This will help you recover your registry to factory settings. (XP only)
- Scan For Viruses - With BootMed Plus you can scan for viruses even if your computer won't boot.
- Image a Failing Hard Drive - Creating a raw image of your hard drive is a great way to recover information from a damaged or unstable hard drive.
- Find My Documents Folders - This will help you search for your documents and copy them to a pen drive.
- Search For Files - This will help you search for your documents and copy them to a pen drive.
- Reset a Windows Password - Lock your self out of your computer? This will show you how to reset your password.
- Setup Dropbox - This will setup Dropbox, allowing you to sync the files you recover to another computer.